Thursday, December 22, 2011

Parenting Children with Disabilities - Insightful Show!

Hello Friends..


Being a Mom of a 10-year old I was very blessed when he was born that he had everything he was suppose to have 10 fingers, 10 toes and all of his mental faculties.  If you are a parent do you remember hearing that prayer over and over again from people...."I hope you have a healthy and happy baby."


Yesterday our show was on Children with Disabilities. I listened to our guests talk about their passion to help their disabled children live better lives. I thought about how much strength and courage they had. One of our guests said that God knew that he and his wife could handle this challenge.  


I also thought about my son while listening to them and I thought that God knew I probably was not made of that kind of stock. I am sure if my child had some type of disability, I would have did what I needed to do to help him be healthy and happy, BUT I know in many ways I probably would have also enabled him.  


One of our guests Stephen Gallup wrote the book "What About The Boy." The book is a first-person account of a family who refused to accept limitations when told they had no choice.  It chronicles the willingness of a husband and wife to sacrifice their own lives for the sake of their child. This is a story of dissenters, whose challenge to authority was simply in the cause of achieving normal life, for themselves and for their developmentally disabled son.


Some of the advice Mr. Gallup gave for parents with disabled children included:


1.  Parents need to remember a child who is disabled is, first and foremost, still a child.
2.  Trust your doctor, but be prepared to think for yourself.
3.  Don’t let your heart betray your mind.  
4.  Wellness and potential are every kid’s birthright.
5.  Reality check: The lifetime cost for care of a disabled person. Learn what you are dealing with and the various ways of responding to it.
I thought all of our guests were very interesting, insightful and most of all REAL. It was great show!


And remember if you have any questions on our show topics please give us a call at 866-472-5788.  You can listen to our show live online 10am Pacific/11am Mountain/12 Central and 1pm Eastern on Wednesdays. 


Thanks for being a part of our Outreach Today family!!!!


Eva Bowen, Executive Producer "Outreach Today"

No comments:

Post a Comment